New Neighbor Information
The following information is provided for the convenience of new residents, or people interested in learning about our neighborhood. It is not intended to endorse the merchants listed. The list is based upon recommendations from Fletcher Place neighbors.
1. How can I get involved in the neighborhood association?
- Drop by one of our monthly neighborhood associations meetings and learn more about us and all of the exciting committees that you can be a part of, such as the social committee, land use committee, etc. For more information, click here. You can also join the neighborhood association by filling out a membership application.
2. Do I need authorization to change the exterior of my house?
- If you are north of Virginia Ave, you are located in the portion of the neighborhood that is under historic preservation and should contact the IHPC (317-327-4408) to see if your changes require a COA (Certificate of Appropriateness).
3. What is the difference between the Fletcher Place District and the Holy Rosary Danish Church District?
- Our Neighborhood Association supports two distinct historic districts that make up one neighborhood, Fletcher Place. Virginia Avenue separates the Fletcher Place Historic District to the north and the Holy Rosary Danish Church District to the south. For more information, click here.
4. What parks are nearby?
The neighborhood is fortunate to have its own park, as well as multiple parks and trails within a mile:
- Lacy Park is located in the heart of the neighborhood at 700 Greer Street.
- Garfield Park is a regional park located just south of the neighborhood at 2345 Pagoda Dr.
- White River Park is a state park located just west of the neighborhood at 810 West Washington St.
- The Indianapolis Cultural Trail is a linear park that will run directly through the neighborhood down Virginia Ave, connecting the neighborhood with Fountain Square to the south and the Downtown to the north.
- The Monon Trail, White River Trail, and Pleasant Run Trail are Indy Greenways linear parks that are within 1 – 2 miles of the neighborhood.
5. Where is the nearest Public Library?
- The Central Indianapolis Marion County Public Library is located at 40 E. St. Clair (between Pennsylvania & Meridian).
- The Garfield Park Branch Library is located at 12505 Shelby St.
6. Where is the closest shopping mall?
- Circle Center Mall, has dining and entertainment options and is located at 49 West Maryland Street.
7. Where is the Post Office and other delivery services?
- US Post Office: Main Office, 125 W. South St.
- Circle City branch: 456 N. Meridian St.
- Garfield Branch: 1636 E. Legrande Ave.
- Fed Ex: located on the Circle, 800-463-3339
- UPS: 133 W. Market located between Monument Circle and the Capital, 317-236-0009
8. Where is the closest hardware store?
- Fusek’s True Value Hardware – 350 E. New York St.
- Ace Hardware – 3833 N. Illinois St.
- American Hardware & Supply – 1018 Virginia Ave.
- Sullivan Hardware – 4838 N. Pennsylvania St.
9. Where is the closest pharmacy?
- CVS 24-hour Stores, 336 Delaware St.
- Walgreens 24-hour Store, 1530 N. Meridian St.
- Bio Scrip Pharmacy, 342 Massachusetts Ave.
10. What Grocery Stores serve downtown residents?
- Needler’s Fresh Market in Lockerbie Marketplace, 320 N. New Jersey St.
- Whole Foods Market, 320 E. Market St.
- Kroger, 524 E. 16th St.
11. What are the options for Dry Cleaners?
- Classic Cleaners, 350 E New York St
12. Where is the nearest Veterinarian?
- Fountain Square Animal Clinic, 880 Virginia Ave.
13. Where are the closest Hospitals?
Indianapolis is fortunate to have outstanding medical practitioners and services. The downtown resident has several excellent choices:
- Methodist Hospital, I-65 & 21st St.
Physician Referral/Clarion On Call – 916-3525
- IU Hospital, 550 University Blvd., 274-5000
Physician Referral/Clarion On Call – 916-3525
- Wishard Health Service, 1001 W. Tenth St., 639-6671
Physician Referral – 655-2255
- Other emergency care and specialized treatment centers are located throughout the metro area.
14. How can I find out about childcare options?
- Check the Child Care Answers Resource Center page, or call 317-631-4643
15. Where do I vote?
- Check the Marion County Election Board page, or call 317-327-5100.
16. How does trash collection work?
- Trash Cart Program: For information on the Trash Cart Program, click here.
- Trash Collection: For information on Trash collection times, including Heavy Trash pickup, click here.
- Hazardous Waste: For information on Hazardous Waste Drop off Sites, click here.
- Curbside Recycling: For information on Curbside recycling, click here.
- Drop-off Recycling: For information on Recycling Drop-off Locations, click here.
- Non-Standard Recycling: For information on Non-Standard Recycling options, click here.
- Illegal Dumping: Please report illegal dumping to the police by calling 317-327-3811
17. Is there a neighborhood Crime Watch?
- You can check the city’s Crime Watch page.
18. Mayor’s Action Center: 317-327-4622 or click here
19. Police Non-Emergency Number: 317-327-3811